Friday, March 03, 2006

Reflections


The whistling of the wind reminds me of a long lost moment, a moment lost in transition, lost in between the fast lanes of life, a moment I wished would last forever.
Life has changed dramatically in the past two and half years, from the moment I landed into the ‘land of opportunities’, the land which welcomes everyone and has room for virtually everyone.
Waking up in the morning to mamas tunes have changed to a beeping sound of my alarm clock, the lunch breaks from work at ICH(Indian café house) Seepz, have changed to Thai, Mexican and soups and salads cuisines. The freshly prepared filter coffee by mom is now replaced by Latte in Starbucks.
Evenings back home were usually spent with my locality friends, just simple bantering or gathering along for a game of cricket. Well, evenings are still spent with my friends, whom I meet online that are occasionally if I can call it.
Life seems to be running speedily towards a destination that’s unknown to me at this point of time. Wake up each day with a thought. A thought as to, what’s there to look forward to today.
My days since I have landed here has been a part and parcel which ,well I cant say can be totally forgotten , but yes except for moments that are gonna be with me forever the rest should be termed as History.
Have gone through a lot of ups and downs, used to be days when I wondered ‘is this what I am here for’.
Well I would like to mention here what I gave up back home to achieve a Masters degree here. After having completed my Bachelors with a major of Electronics I got through a job in one of the reputed firms ( PCS- if that rings a bell). Well, job was not bad but didn’t give me the kind of satisfaction I was looking for. I always wanted to achieve my MBA degree and my friends also used to think that I am a prefect marketing guy. But other things were in store for me (thanks to me).
Hence after being there for over a year I decided to work towards my Masters degree. Wanted to always major in the field of my liking if I am gonna pursue Master’s i.e. and it has to be Electrical. Hence, before actually coming to US wanted to gain enough experience or rather mould it in a way to get a RA or a TA (research/teachers assistant). Hence on that pretext I took up a teaching job in my undergraduate college.
Quit that 2 months before I got that visa much to the disappointment of my family members. Well couldn’t sit idle at home and hence set out to work in a BPO (well have this habit of experimenting stuff with life and career). Did that job for a couple of months before the day came when I got my visa. Well the worst part of all this process (application and visa processing) is that time flies of so fast, u hardly have any quality time left to spend with ur parents. Boarded my suitcases and set out one fine day chasing a dream unknown.
My thoughts were constantly centered on the fact that it would be so great in doing a research under a renowned professor.
Now comes WSU into picture (WSU?? Well what’s that) aren’t there a thousand other WSU’s here, exactly and I was lucky (that’s wat I thought then) to get into one of them called Wright state university. Walked in to find thousand others like me who pursue the same dream as me. To add to it I realized that there are no RA’s offered for students in the first quarter or at least till they have covered 4 quarters (but then don’t we need 5 quarters to graduate!!).
Well my teaching back home did help me out as I got a TA with the physics department, but here again an assistantship with no assistance (financially- if I may call it). All this compelled me to take a job I was always reluctant on taking up, well a job in a gas station.
Had heard that this is the typical journey taken by all the Master students and now I was a part of it. Here is where my nights were spent as day time was for schooling. Amidst all this tight schedule somewhere deep down my heart was hidden my dream for which I was here. A dream to top my university, to get a good GPA and to land up in a good job.

Being an international student the only credential I had, was to maintain a good GPA to get a good job. Well I did manage to get an above average GPA and started applying to all my dream companies.
With not even one reply coming back for my thousand emails sent the frustration level was bound to increase and then came a day when I decided to move on and join a consultancy.

I did join a consultancy and am currently a part of it, got myself a job in San Francisco and am working as a java developer. Well have heard that life is a full circle, am sure have not lived the whole of it as yet but seem to land back to where I left from. A software job at the end of the day.



So Intel and qualcomm have taken a back seat for the time being with java and struts leading the way. Well I know that I have the aptitude and confidence to take me through any new challenges, and I guess that what is driving me here too.
But still there are days that end up with the sulking feeling and with a dream that lives on. A dream to work in the field in which I have spent 9 years of my precious life. A dream with a destination unknown…

6 Comments:

Blogger Lavanya said...

Hey Venkat!

Welcome to blog-o-sphere:) A dream with a destination unknown? Dare, Dream and forge ahead! Your future is safe in God's keeping but you can live only one day at a time.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Tapan said...

Good stuff dude. Keep writing. Don't give up on VLSI, keep pushing your resume...you never know where stuff will work out.

And yeah, just for the record, ICH is Indian Coffee House, not cafe, (don't know how to print the aigu here)...cafe makes it sound a bit too (dare I say it) chic? :P

12:06 AM  
Blogger Arjun J said...

Venky:
The destination does not matter. What matters is the journery itself, along with the memories you create.
All the best.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Nitin said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Envy said...

Hey Ganu,
That was indeed a lovely comment. And yes, i will surely call u and see to it that we sing our way through to success....

Good luck with everything and hope to see u soon.

8:18 PM  
Blogger SEV said...

Everything you've posted is so very true.. we pursue a dream; and so often.. we find that the dream is nothing like what we thought it might be.
Keep looking, keep searching, eventually we all get to do what we are meant to do.

Satish

4:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home